Kimley-Horn has a rewarding opportunity for an experienced Transit Planner to join our team in San Jose, California overseeing various, large transportation and transit infrastructure projects, as well as leading community and stakeholder engagement activities.
The successful candidate will have a strategic mindset and a passion for leading large public transportation/transit planning projects. Their focus will include leading transportation planning for transit projects including Commuter Rail, Bus Rapid Transit, Light Rail, and Fixed and On Demand services. This role will be responsible for collaborating with municipalities, regional entities, transit agencies, and members of the public. The successful candidate will also play a role in business development by tracking transportation planning opportunities.
The selected candidate will:
• Manage large, complex, and multi-disciplinary transportation infrastructure projects, or significant portions of the projects.
• Mentor and develop staff, provides leadership in an environment that encourages teamwork, initiative, and growth.
• Lead project outreach activities including guiding the direction of public engagement, giving presentations, meeting with community members, businesses, and organizations to explain the project scope, impacts, benefits, mitigations, etc.
• Collaborate with agencies and municipal clients on complex planning and project delivery challenges.
• Conduct public presentations including community meetings, board meetings, and city council meetings.
• Perform project management duties such as managing large tasks and projects, performing research, report writing, leading public involvement meetings and maintaining client relations in support of transportation infrastructure projects.
• Develop schedules, review invoices, manage progress reports, prepare scopes, and track budgets.
• A strong passion to provide clients with exceptional service
• A minimum of 8 years of planning experience, including large capital transit infrastructure projects
• Strong knowledge of planning principles related to transit and transportation
• Demonstrated project management experience
• Experience in transportation and transit planning project work including, but not limited to transit planning, bus rapid transit, light rail, complete streets, pedestrian and bicycle planning
• Strong organizational skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience with public outreach, community engagement, providing presentations to public officials and communication with a variety of individuals
• Outgoing, self-motivated team player
• Ability to work with and balance priorities among multiple projects and project managers
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
• AICP accreditation, or P.E. license
• An entrepreneurial spirit
We are a full-service consulting firm that provides a wide range of infrastructure and land development planning and engineering services to both public and private clients. Though we have more than 5,000 employees in over 90 offices, we pride ourselves on our small company feel.
Our commitment to quality is only as good as the people behind it—that’s why we recruit passionate, hardworking, and proactive employees. By joining Kimley-Horn, you’ll be joining a firm whose core values and core purpose are more than just words on paper—they form the basis of a culture that has yielded success since 1967.
Kimley-Horn has been recognized 14 times as one of the "Top Companies to Work For".
Below is a list of Benefits Provided by Kimley-Horn:
• Retirement contributions include a 2-to-1 401(k) match on the first 4% and a discretionary profit-sharing contribution
• Profit sharing in 2021 was 10%, leading to an employer contribution of 18%*
• Performance Based Bonus Compensation
• Health Savings Account – Company paid HSA contribution
• Medical Insurance - Insurance that includes a no month premium option
• Dental insurance
• Vision insurance
• Paid Time Off – Varies based on experience and classification
• Tuition reimbursement
• Back-up Childcare - Company-paid back-up childcare
• Employee referral program for bringing great people to the firm
• New Parent Leave
• Short-Term Disability
• Long-Term Disability
• Voluntary Life Insurance
• Group Term Life Insurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Health Advocate
• Financial Advisors
• Dependent Care FSA
• Accidental Death and Dismemberment